Invoice submissions will vary agency to agency, but here is a glimpse of basic information to include.
Your invoice checklist is the following:
- Double check your math, both horizontally (rate x number of hours) and vertically (total of all rows).
- Make sure there is an invoice number.
- Put the date and brief description of each assignment worked, one per row.
- Indicate if you would like an electronic, ACH, or check payment.
- Make sure your contact information is correct.
- Submit any travel receipts or other justification, if applicable.
- Make sure you have submitted a current W-9.
- Bill no later than 30 days after the assignment completion date; 24 hours if the assignment ran long.
Here’s an example of a well-formatted invoice.
You can download a template at this link.